Twin Moment

Writers. Twins. Biologically unrelated. Laughing at
ourselves (and each other), listening to amazing
music, and living life epically. We present, our blog.
Prepare to be astounded.

A Lesson on Revising

The past few days have been a series of lessons on revising.

What I've learned (so far):


  1. Revisions + Chocolate = Better Revisions
  2. It's not going to be easy, so you might as well approach it fully prepared. 
  3. Even when you get burned out, you may or may not experience a driving need to continue.
  4. There will be those inevitable days when you feel like a failure as a writer.
  5. You'll want to throw the manuscript out a window at least once.
  6. There'll be a grand moment when you see it all coming together, and you start feeling pretty good! (At least until #4 or #5 choose to repeat themselves...)
  7. Revisions + Something Yummy = MUCH Better Revisions
  8. It's important to take breaks in your revisions and do something that doesn't involve your brain. Like watching a movie. Or riding your bike. 
  9. Be ready for anything.
  10. Be ready to finish an entire round of revisions and have to start over.
  11. KEEP THE END GOAL IN MIND!
  12. A good friend revising at the same time (and holding you accountable in a chat box) makes it easier and better in so many ways.

The list actually goes on. But I'm going to stop there since twelve is a cool number. And also because I've got to go... do something. Like, revise?

Best Part of Today: Revising! *cough* Or cream cheese.
Currently Craving: Tea.
Music Pick: "Wild Horses" by Natasha Bedingfield
I'm Reading: "David Copperfield" by Charles Dickens 
WIP: Fire [on hold!] (11,261 words) + Blink Revisions!!

2 epic comments:

I SUCK I SUCK I SUCK I SUCK I SUCK

New approaches. NEW APPROACHES. That is all I have to say.

That is why I am hanging upside, painting this chapter on my dorm room wall in Egyptian hieroglyhpics.

Seriously.

Or maybe it only feels like that.

 

Revision. *sigh*

I live for #6... And die with #4 and #5.

I think it would help if I'd ever finished revising a novel. I've polished some short stories and stuff, but not to the point where I've submitted them anywhere. My novels are currently even more bleak.

Sometimes I think that revising wouldn't seem quite so hopeless if I could just get through an entire book once before burning out. XD

 

Post a Comment

Comments! They make our hearts sparkly. Feel free to leave LOTS. We're all for comment spam-age.